Tuesday 28 January 2014

England - My top 5 things to do

Being English and having never lived anywhere else I tend to write off England as boring, as I'm sure many of us write off our own countries, but really we've got quite a lot to offer.
Here is my top 5 things to do in England as a guide (mostly for incoming visitors) but also for domestic tourists looking for ideas for a day out or weekend away.

1. The Thermae Bath spa
(Credit Thermae Bath spa, since you're not allowed cameras up there)

I feel like a lot of us forget about Bath but the views from the roof top pool are pretty stunning. On one side you have the church and the country side, on the other traditional buildings. It's a great way to spend the morning before getting lunch, at the Thermae spa's restaurant or elsewhere.
Though, of course, the roof top pool isn't the only facility your entrance fee gets you into. There is an indoor pool and my personal favorite the four Aroma Steamrooms, each with a different scent. Two are beautiful and perfume like, another smells of eucalyptus-mint, great for clearer breathing, and the fourth is (in my opinion) a little weird but most people enjoy it.

2. The Twinings shops and museum, London
(Imagine credit, Twinings website)

Everyone, when asked, whats the first thing they associate with the English is tea. Why not embrace the stereotype and try the height of tea drinking in a 300 year old tea room?

3. The Crooked House Tea Room, Windsor
(Google maps and a little of my editing, we've all had a photograph ruined by rain)

If you want tea but fancy pairing it with food then Crooked- House in Windsor (a few steps away from the castle) is perfect for an Afternoon tea. They have just the right amount of tea choices and lots of different sandwich and drink options as well as jacket potatoes and savory pies. Perfect if you're in the area, just shopping or seeings the castle. 

4. Brightons seafront
(Brighton Pier, my image)
(Brighton seafront, my image)

(Brighton Pier, my image)

Now I know the picture I used just shows a few of the rides on the pier, theres also two great indoor arcades, but really one of the best things about the Pier is the junk food. American hot dogs, burgers, nachos and every flavor of milkshake as well as good old fashion fish and chips you can take down onto the beach (try going at sunset or in the evening and summer, it's brilliant).

5. Cheddar Gorge Cheese, Somerset

I know this one might sound odd but a cheese tour and tasting is a great indoor activity. Watch how the cheese is made before you try some then visit the gift shop. It could just be the fact it's lunch time talking but this sound like a great afternoon to me. Why not try Chilli cheddar or buy some locally made Stilton?

Thats my top five things to do in England but for some other ideas for places to visit try Portsmouth Quays shopping center for discount designer goods and great food or Londons Southbank (right by the London eye) for great waffles and a lovely Christmas market.

No comments:

Post a Comment